The Covid-19 pandemic has led to a global change in working habits. The cloud is becoming more important than ever as businesses take advantage of the opportunities to work remotely. Because data is stored online, you can access it anywhere and collaborate with colleagues in real time. But does Office 365 back up your data?
In this article, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about restoring your data in the worst case scenario.
How can your Office 365 data be compromised?
- Human error – according to industrial research, about 64% of incidents of data loss in the cloud are caused in this way. Employees may accidentally override files or delete files that they consider insignificant.
- Cybercrime – The cloud is not exempt from malware threats. If hackers target an employee or a company in general, they may inadvertently download a virus that deletes files, or ransomware that blocks access to computer systems and demands payment.
- Rogue employees – while it’s not pleasant to think that an employee has malicious intentions, it’s more common than you might think. Someone who leaves to work for another company or is fired can try to cause problems by deleting important data.
Does Office 365 back up your data?
No, Office 365 doesn’t back up your data by default. No matter how effective the cloud is in terms of usability, it can potentially be compromised as easily as traditional hardware. If you need an additional line of defense for your Office 365 data, you need to invest in a reliable backup solution.
Is it possible to recover lost files in
If you accidentally delete a file or email, it stays in your Recycle Bin/Deleted Items folder for 30 days. After that, it goes to the Recoverable Items folder for 14 days before it is permanently deleted.
However, trash is not a backup solution: it does not protect against the effects of viruses or ransomware. And if you don’t realize you’ve removed something by accident until a few months later, it’s too late to get it back.
How to protect your Office 365 data
There are several things you can do to prevent your data from being inadvertently or intentionally compromised, for example:
- Stay vigilant with your emails – if they don’t look quite right or if you weren’t expecting to receive them, don’t click on links and don’t open attachments.
- Foster a strong culture of cybersecurity awareness within your organization
- Invest in backup solutions for Microsoft Office 365
Benefits of Office 365 backup
- Flexibility – with our Cloud backup solutions, you can decide what level of online backup you need.
- Privacy – The data you want to back up is fully encrypted and remains secure. You don’t have to worry about maintaining compliance standards.
- Peace of mind – you can rest assured that no matter what happens to your data, you can easily restore an earlier version.
Want to know more?
ALTA-ICT is an expert in Office 365 backup,which helps companies get the most out of their IT systems. Click on the link below and we are happy to help you.